Lack of maintenance is the most common cause of timing chain stretch.
2. Worn out oil can no longer lubricate the chain and will cause the rollers and links to wear against each other.
What does a noisy timing chain sound like?
There is a rattling sound coming from the engine. This is most likely due to a loose timing chain or a broken timing chain with loose parts inside the engine. The rattling sound should go away after the engine has warmed up.
Is timing chain covered under warranty?
Depending on your vehicle, your timing chain should last 80,000 to 120,000 miles.
2. Most timing chains are covered by a manufacturer’s warranty, so if it fails prematurely, you shouldn’t have to pay for repairs.
3. If your timing chain needs to be replaced, it’s a good idea to check with your manufacturer to see if it’s covered by warranty.
Will a bad timing chain throw a code?
A worn or stretched timing chain can cause misfiring and cam timing problems.
2. A weak timing chain tensioner can cause the engine to run poorly.
3. Worn timing chain guides can cause the engine to misfire.
How much does a timing chain cost to fix?
Replacing your timing chain can be costly, running you anywhere between $600 to $800 if you choose to do it yourself, or $1,600 to $1,800 if you take it to a mechanic.
2. The reason the cost is so high is because replacing a timing chain is a complicated process.
3. If you’re set on replacing the timing chain yourself, anticipate spending around $650 just on parts.