The emissions/exhaust system is the most likely source of many check engine lights being illuminated. There could be an exhaust leak or a problem with the catalytic converter. The mass airflow sensor (MAF) is another sensor that is easily tripped or can fail.
Why is my engine light on but nothing seems wrong?
If you notice nothing out of the ordinary, it is likely safe to drive your car until you can take it to a mechanic. The light may come on after filling up the gas tank if the gas cap is not on tightly. Alternatively, the light could be an indication that your catalytic converter needs to be checked.
2. If everything appears to be normal, you can probably keep driving until you can take your car to a mechanic. The light may come on after you’ve refueled if the gas cap isn’t tight enough. Or, it might mean that your catalytic converter needs to be inspected.
Will a broken timing chain destroy my engine?
A broken timing chain can cause an engine to fail to start or fail while driving.
2. If the timing chain is already broken, the engine may not have enough compression to start.
3. If the timing chain breaks or jumps while the engine is running, the pistons may be damaged from contact with the valves.
4. The valves may bend and potentially ruin the engine if they come into contact with the pistons.
What does a noisy timing chain sound like?
Timing chain noise is most noticeable during a cold startup of the vehicle.
2. This is because the oil pressure and oil flow is at its lowest during a cold startup.
3. Excess slack in the timing chain can cause a rattling sound or even a clanking sound if the slack is severe enough to cause the chain to contact the timing chain cover.
Can you drive with a stretched timing chain?
It’s probably not immediately dangerous to drive with an elongated chain, but if it gets elongated enough, it will lose tension and start to “slap.” This could damage the plastic cam chain guides or cause the chain to jump a tooth on one of the sprockets, which could lead to catastrophic engine damage.