On average, it will take a qualified mechanic between 5 and 8 hours to replace the timing chain and all of the parts that go with it.
2. It will generally take a qualified mechanic between 5 and 8 hours to replace the timing chain and all of the ancillary parts.
What is the average cost to replace a timing chain?
Replacing your timing chain can be expensive, costing between $600 and $800 for a DIY repair, or between $1,600 and $1,800 with a mechanic.
2. The reason the cost is high is because replacing this part is complicated.
3. If you want to do a DIY timing chain replacement, the parts will cost you approximately $650.
How do you check a timing chain?
Read the amount of stretch on the timing tab. For example, if the rotor tip began to move 10° after TDC as measured at the timing mark, the chain has 10° of stretch.
2. Any reading more than 4° to 5° is considered excessive and you need to schedule time to install a new timing chain and gear set.
How much does it cost to fix a car that jumped time?
It takes approximately 5 hours to put a new head on your vehicle, but you have to factor in additional time for the timing components and other incidentals. So, at $80 an hour, you’re looking at around $1,000 ($500 for the head and $500 for labor, approximately) in a scenario where ONLY the valves were damaged. February 27, 2017
What does a failing timing belt sound like?
A failing timing belt will produce a ticking noise when the engine is first started.
2. If the timing belt eventually breaks, the engine will produce a whining noise when trying to start.
3. No compression in the engine will produce a whining noise.