5 to 2 hours to remove the old timing chain and related hardware
3 to 4 hours to install the new timing chain and related hardware
1 to 2 hours to reassemble the engine
How much is it to change a timing belt?
Belts don’t cost that much. The real cost is in the labor because a lot of parts need to be disassembled to get to the belt.
2. Get a few quotes to get the best deal, but you can expect to pay anywhere from $367 to $585.
How much does it cost to replace a timing chain on a BMW?
624 to 1.879 is the cost of replacing your BMW timing chain at a mechanic. This is a pretty intensive maintenance/repair task that can take a mechanic several hours to complete. Your BMW timing chain should be replaced every 100,000 miles to keep your car healthy.
How do you prevent timing chain failure?
Check your timing chain cover regularly for leaks.
2. Keep your engine oil levels topped up.
3. Don’t let your engine overheat – if it does, don’t drive it.
How do you know if your timing chain is stretched?
Read the amount of stretch on the timing tab.
2. For example, if the rotor tip began to move at 10° after TDC as measured at the timing mark, the chain has 10° of stretch.
3. Any reading more than 4° to 5° is considered excessive and you need to schedule time to install a new timing chain and gear set.