When a car is running rich, it means the engine is receiving too much fuel and not enough air. Your car will still crank and drive if it’s running rich, but you may experience symptoms like low gas mileage, slow acceleration and a strong smell of gasoline (especially when idling). 2. 24 Sept 2018
What makes a car run rich?
What is “running rich,” and how does it happen?
2. Running rich only happens when there’s a problem with how your engine burns fuel. The cause of this is your engine getting too much fuel.
3. On the other hand, “running lean” means your car is getting too much air and not enough fuel.
Is a cold air intake better than stock?
A cold air intake is more effective because it allows colder air into the engine. This increases the amount of fuel that can be sent into the engine, and thus increases power. Many turbocharged vehicles come with an intercooler as standard.
2. A cold air intake is a more effective way to get colder air into the engine, allowing more fuel to be sent in and increasing power. This is why many turbocharged vehicles come with an intercooler as standard.
Do cold air intakes require a tune?
Anytime you modify the airflow in an engine, you will need a custom tune to compensate for the change.
2. Some intakes don’t modify the airflow enough to where you need a custom tune, so identifying which one you have is important.
Is intake better than air filter?
Cold air intake provides more horsepower and better sound improvement than air filters.
2. Generally, cold air intake can provide 20 additional horsepower and a unique sound during acceleration, whereas air filters can provide up to 10 horsepower with minimal sound improvement (if using an open pod filter).