Read the amount of stretch on the timing tab.
2. For example, if the rotor tip began to move at 10° after TDC as measured at the timing mark, the chain has 10° of stretch.
3. Any reading more than 4° to 5° is considered excessive and you need to schedule time to install a new timing chain and gear set.
What are signs of timing belt problems?
Symptoms of a bad or failing timing belt
-You hear a ticking noise coming from the engine
-Your car’s engine won’t turn over
-You notice an oil leak near the motor
-You experience exhaust issues
-Your revs start acting up
Will a broken timing chain destroy my engine?
An engine will not start or fail while driving if the timing chain is broken.
2. If the belt is already broken, the engine won’t have enough compression to start.
3. If the timing chain breaks or jumps while driving, the pistons will be damaged from contact with the valves.
4. The valves themselves will bend and potentially ruin the engine if the timing chain breaks or jumps while driving.
How do you prevent timing chain Problems?
Timing chain failure prevention
2. Inspect your timing chain cover regularly for leaks
3. Ensure engine oil levels don’t fall too low
4. Don’t let the engine overheat – if it does, don’t drive it
Does timing chain affect acceleration?
The timing chain can stretch over time, causing it to skip gears on the cam or crankshaft. This can throw the engine’s timing off, causing misfires and poor performance.