If you drive with a bad timing chain, you could seriously damage your engine. Additionally, it’s dangerous because the chain could break without warning, causing your vehicle to stop suddenly. A timing chain typically needs to be replaced between 40,000 and 150,000 miles.
How do you check a timing chain?
Read the amount of stretch on the timing tab.
2. For example, if the rotor tip began to move at 10° after TDC as measured at the timing mark, the chain has 10° of stretch.
3. Any reading more than 4° to 5° is considered excessive and you need to schedule time to install a new timing chain and gear set.
At what mileage should a timing chain be replaced?
A timing chain is made of metal, but that doesn’t mean it’s invincible.
2. Depending on its condition, a timing chain typically needs to be replaced every so often.
3. However, it should last well over 100,000 miles.
How many hours does it take to replace a timing chain?
Identify the problem: a timing chain that needs replacing.
2. Find a qualified mechanic who can replace the timing chain and associated hardware.
3. Schedule an appointment with the mechanic.
4. Allow the mechanic 5 to 8 hours to complete the replacement.
Is timing chain covered under warranty?
The lifespan of a timing chain varies depending on the make and model of your vehicle, but it is typically between 80,000 and 120,000 miles.
2. Most timing chains are covered by a manufacturer’s warranty, so if it fails before the expected lifespan, you likely won’t have to pay for repairs.
3. As of September 13th, 2022, your timing chain should still be covered by a manufacturer’s warranty.